If there’s one thing the tech industry is known for, it’s helping people build their businesses.
From Uber to Etsy, millions of dollars have been poured into companies that help consumers turn their ideas into reality.
Wellness hunch, a wellness app, was valued at $40 million and they help people track workouts, manage diets, and stay motivated.
If you’re looking to start an online personal training business but aren’t quite sure where to begin, this guide will help you figure out your strategy for marketing and sales.
Step 1: Set Your Budget
As a business owner, it’s important to set a budget and stick to it – especially if you want to be able to grow your business successfully.
But how much should you spend on marketing?
That depends on you.
If you have a limited budget, then you may want to consider doing some of the following things:
- Spend money on producing quality content (blogs, videos, ebooks, etc.)
- Spend money on paid ads (such as Google Ads)
- Don’t spend a dime on social media (it’s free)
- Understand your target audience (so you can create content that they’ll value)
- Use an expert sales team (which we’ll discuss in Step 2)
Step 2: Hire A Marketing Expert
If you’re not familiar with the term “marketing expert”, it basically means someone who is an expert at marketing.
With their help, you can develop a marketing strategy that will allow you to succeed in your online personal trainer marketing plan.
A marketing expert will help you develop a brand strategy, build a digital marketing plan, and identify key performance indicators (KPIs) to track your progress.
The benefits of having a marketing expert on your side include:
- Developing a more comprehensive marketing strategy
- Understand the digital marketing landscape
- Setting long-term goals and benchmarks for your marketing strategy
- Developing marketing materials (such as websites, blogs, and social media accounts)
- Testing different marketing channels and measuring the results
- Paying for ads on social media platforms (such as Facebook and Instagram)
- Measuring the results of your marketing efforts and adjusting your strategy accordingly
- Finding the right balance between marketing costs and efficiency
- Access to successful marketing specialists
- And much more
Step 3: Create High-Quality Content
If you’re looking to grow your business successfully, you’ll want to create high-quality content that potential customers find valuable.
To do this, you need to consider the following elements:
- Your target audience (you can find this online using analytics tools, such as Google Analytics)
- The type of content you’ll produce – whether that’s a blog post, an ebook, a video, or anything else
- The voice and style you want to use in your content
- The length of your articles and the frequency you’ll post them
- The platform you’ll use to publish your content (such as HubSpot, which we’ll discuss in detail in a minute)
- Your writing style and the degree of sophistication you want to achieve
Once you have a clear idea of these elements, you can develop content that will speak to your target audience and help them solve their specific problems. To develop this content, you can use various tools from scratch (such as Word or Google Docs) or you can use an existing content management system (CMS) to easily create and manage your site.
The advantage of using an existing CMS is that it makes it much easier to establish your site and begin producing content.
Step 4: Create a Digital Marketing Plan
Now that you have a clear idea of your target audience, you can create a digital marketing plan that will allow you to effectively communicate with them and grow your business.
A digital marketing plan is basically a roadmap for your online marketing efforts – from digital advertising to social media marketing to SEO (search engine optimization).
It should include the following elements:
- A description of the type of content you’ll create (blogs, videos, ebooks, etc.)
- An explanation of the purposes of each piece of content (to engage with potential clients)
- A description of your target audience (e.g., health enthusiasts, busy parents, or millennials)
- An outline of the marketing channels you’ll use (such as paid ads, social media, etc.)
- The estimated cost of your campaign (per channel)
- The frequency you’ll post new content
- The goal you’ll use to measure the success of your campaign
Step 5: Choose A Platform
Once you have a clear idea of what you’ll produce and how you’ll produce it, you can choose a platform to host your content.
There are plenty of options and it depends on your target audience – but for the sake of this example, let’s assume you want to create content for health enthusiasts who also happen to be digital nomads – in other words, people who work remotely and travel frequently.
If so, then you may want to consider using a content platform specifically designed for remote workers such as HubSpot.
- It has everything you need to create high-quality content (blog posts, videos, and ebooks)
- It provides you with advanced features (e.g., smart caching, email integration, etc.)
- It has a clean and appealing design
- It has advanced analytics tools so you can track the effectiveness of your content (e.g., click-through rates, conversion rates, etc.)
- And much more
Now, if you’ve got a business blog that you’ve been carrying around for a while and you want to bring it to the next level, you may want to look into creating a microsite to host your blog posts.
A microsite is basically a standalone site owned by a larger company.
For instance, GoDaddy now owns HubSpot and they use it as a standalone website to demonstrate their various products.
So, rather than trying to integrate your blog into your existing site, you can use HubSpot to establish your blog and connect it to social media accounts.
Step 6: Build Your Audience On The Different Platforms
To effectively market your personal trainer business, you’ll want to build an audience on the different platforms – whether that’s Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn.
For instance, if you’ve been using Facebook to connect with existing customers, you may want to consider creating a separate Instagram account just for your online personal trainer business.
Instagram is a place where people go to get inspiration, learn about new things, and share their experiences.
But if your goal is to grow your business, you may want to consider creating an Instagram account for your personal trainer business and using it to gain credibility, establish yourself as an expert in your field, and offer valuable advice to your audience.
Step 7: Measure The Results of Your Plan
To track the results of your marketing efforts, you’ll need to set a goal and a timeframe for your plan – and then you can evaluate your performance against those metrics.
If you want to be able to determine the success of your marketing plan, then you may want to consider using a marketing automation platform – as they can help you analyze the results of your plan and adjust your strategy as needed.
This way you’ll be able to continuously track the results of your efforts and determine if you’re making the right moves – or if you need to make some changes.