When it comes to creating a new website, there are so many options available that it can get overwhelming. Do you want to create a standard blog-type site or a more sophisticated, corporate-looking site? Do you need something that will immediately engage your audience or do you need a site that will eventually become extremely valuable to your company?
No matter what you are looking for, there is a way that you can create a custom website that will perfectly match your needs.
In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about website development, including:
The Difference Between Programming And Designing A Website
Traditionally, website developers create the underlying structure of a website while the designer implements the look. But thanks to CSS and other software, programming and designing a website has become almost completely interchangeable. In fact, you can use any one of the software packages that we’ll discuss in this article to build a fully functioning website without ever writing a line of code. Instead, you’ll be able to utilize pre-made templates that you’re able to modify with your own logo, colors, and content.
The Many Different Types Of Websites
If you’re completely unfamiliar with the world of web design, you may want to consider what type of website you want to create before you even begin to code. That way, you’ll be sure to choose the right platform for the job.
Here are just some of the most popular types of websites:
- Blog – This is the most basic type of website. A blog is essentially a website that is updated regularly (usually daily) with new content. Most blog sites will use an underlying structure of three or more columns with featured images and videos in the center. Most blog sites also contain a search bar with an option for random or featured searches.
- E-commerce –An e-commerce site is a store or a website that sells a product or service online. This type of website usually contains a product catalogue (shopping cart) that users can browse and purchase online. Most e-commerce sites will have some type of payment gateway (such as PayPal) so that customers can make online payments.
- Portfolio – A portfolio is a website that contains a collection of work created by a single individual or company. The portfolio site can contain links to the individual’s or company’s websites as well as to social media accounts (such as Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn).
- Social Networking –A social networking site is a website that allows individuals to create profiles, post status updates, and connect with other users. The most popular social networking sites include Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Directory – A directory is a type of website that acts as an index of businesses and other organizations. A directory usually contains a list of businesses and other organizations along with brief descriptions and contact information.
- RSS Feed – An RSS feed is a type of website that provides real-time updates about an individual or organization. Users can subscribe to RSS feeds via email or a news reader and will instantly be notified whenever new content is added to the feed.
- Archives – An archives is a website that contains a collection of older content that can be accessed by date or by topic. Most archives will have an option for users to search through recently added content as well as content from all over the internet. Most archives will also allow for commenting and sharing content within the site.
The above types of websites are very popular and there are hundreds of others. If you have a specific type of website in mind that you think will be very valuable to your company, don’t hesitate to create it. The world of web design is yours for the taking.
The Different Tools You’ll Need To Create Websites
In addition to choosing what type of website you want to create, you’ll also need to decide what software you’ll use to actually create it. There are many different tools that you can use to build a website and it depends on your experience level and the complexity of the site what you might need.
Here are just some of the most popular tools that you might need to create a website: