You’ve probably heard of online marketing, maybe even considered it as a career option. But what exactly is online marketing, and how can it (and other marketing channels) help your business succeed? Let’s look at some basic information about online marketing, as well as how you can use it to your advantage.
Key Facts About Online Marketing
To start, it’s important to understand some basic facts about online marketing:
- There are four main types of online marketing:
- Display Advertising
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing (SMM)
- Content Marketing.
- Each form of online marketing helps promote your business, typically through paid advertisements on websites or blogs. However, there is also a lot of influence that comes from word of mouth and recommendations from friends.
- Most businesses that are serious about marketing their products or services online use all four forms of online marketing. Why? Because it’s the best way to reach the right audience at the right time with the right message.
- If you’re wondering which form to focus on, or whether you need to specialize in one area or another, remember this: all four forms work together. You can’t choose one form and ignore the others. That is a false economy. One form will always help you, but you won’t be able to maximize your results if you don’t use the others.
- The best advice anyone can give you if you are new to digital marketing is: specialize in one area, but don’t be afraid to explore new things. Each form of digital marketing has its own distinct specialty, but you should know how to use all of them to become an expert. Just like there are four basic forms of printing, there are four basic types of online marketing. If you want to be an expert, you have to know how to do all of them. The more you know, the more you’ll be able to offer. The more you offer, the more you’ll be valued. The more you’re valued, the more you’ll be paid. It’s a simple chain reaction.
- It’s also important to understand how each form of online marketing can help your business succeed:
- Display Advertising: This is the oldest form of online marketing. You may be familiar with it if you’ve ever looked at a yellow pages ad or a coupon offer in a magazine. You see, when a business wants to advertise their product or service, they will use an ad agency, and these agencies will pitch ideas to the advertising companies, such as Google or Bing. In some cases, the agency will pitch multiple concepts to ensure that they get seen by the target audience. For example, if you’re marketing your baking products, you may want to advertise in a magazine for women, but you may also want to target some men as well. Having both male and female readers is ideal, but even if you have a primarily male audience, you can still advertise in a female magazine. The point is, you may want to advertise in a variety of places, as long as the audience is within the general range of your target demographic.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization is the practice of optimizing your website content and formatting to ensure that your articles, videos, and other forms of content are found easily via key word searches and mobile searches. Let’s say you’re the owner of a shoe design website. You’ve been doing fairly well on your own, but you think that you can do better if you focus on SEO, which you’ve never done before. This is where you come in: an SEO firm knows how to reach your target demographic via search engines, and they will work with you to create a plan to get you where you want to go.
- SMM: Social Media Marketing is the practice of utilizing social media to gain exposure and connect with customers. There are a variety of platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest, that you can use to connect with potential customers. You can use these platforms to provide information about your products or services, engage with potential customers, and receive feedback. Additionally, you can use social media to broadcast special offers and discounts, as well as engage with current customers and create word of mouth marketing.
- Content Marketing: Content Marketing is simply the practice of creating marketing material that is valuable to potential customers. This may include anything from articles, videos, infographics, or data-driven content. Remember: your customers are already engaged with you via an internet connection, so you can assume that they’re interested in your product or service. That means they’re already thinking about it and might be willing to learn more. That is the key to effective content marketing: create valuable content that is useful to your audience, and you’ll be able to drive profitable growth.
- As you can see, each form of online marketing has its perks. Let’s explore each one in more detail, shall we?
The Benefits Of Display Advertising
There are a variety of benefits to display advertising, the most obvious being that you are seeing these ads on websites and other places online that your target audience typically visits. This means that you are actually reaching potentially interested customers without having to go through the effort of finding them yourself.
Another perk of display advertising is that you can target your audience based on gender, age, and location. In the example above, the advertiser wanted to target women aged 25-34, who lived in New York City. Therefore, when someone who fits this profile loads the ad on their phone, they will see this ad because it is relevant to them. This type of targeting is usually done through digital cookie technology, which stores information about what pages users have visited and how they’ve interacted with content on those pages – the better to serve ads that are more relevant to them.
The last perk of display advertising is that you can measure the results of your ad campaign. You’ll know how many people noticed the ad, how many of them clicked on it, and how many of them bought the product or service after viewing the ad. This data is usually compiled into a report that can be used to determine the overall effectiveness of the campaign, as well as which ads performed the best.
The Benefits Of SEO
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization, which means that this practice helps a website or blog to appear easier to find via search engines. When someone performs a search on Google or Bing, the SEO for a given website will play a role in how many results they see, and it will also determine whether or not they click on the link that is (or is not) associated with the website.
The first and most obvious perk of SEO is that you are effectively reaching potential customers who are searching for your product or service. So, if someone is looking for a new pair of shoes, you can assume that they’re interested in your product, and you can use this fact to your advantage. You can also use SEO to further promote your products or services by creating content that is both relevant and valuable to this particular audience. This content can then be used to gain even more traction via organic search.
Another advantage of SEO is that you can track the results of your efforts. Again, with the example above, the advertiser wanted to target women aged 25-34 who lived in New York City. To do this, they first had to determine what keywords they should use, and then they had to create content using these keywords. Once the content was created, they then adjusted their keyword strategy to include these new words and phrases.
The final advantage of SEO is that you can measure its results. Just as with display advertising, you’ll be able to see how many people saw the ad, how many people clicked on it, and how many people purchased the product or service after viewing the ad. This is typically done through keyword analysis, which tracks how many times certain words and phrases are ranked in the search results – the better to determine the overall effectiveness of an SEO strategy.
The Benefits Of SMM
SMM, similar to SEO, stands for Social Media Marketing. However, instead of being used to drive website traffic, SMM is used to gain support and interest for your product or service via social media platforms. Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms can be used to broadcast information about your company, seek customer feedback, and encourage other people to learn about your product or service. Additionally, you can use social media to find and engage with customers who have experience with your product or service.
The first and most obvious benefit of SMM is that you are reaching a potentially interested audience that is already using social media. As we mentioned above, SEO is used to drive website traffic, but SMM is used to generate support and interest for your product or service via social media. This can be extremely beneficial, as you will be able to gain fast approval and massive support from your target audience via social media.