If you’re just coming into the world of online marketing and aren’t sure where to start, here are some proven tactics that you can use to give your business the best possible chance of success.
Focus On The Basics
As a beginner, you may want to start by focusing simply on making sure that your website is well-designed and easy to navigate. Making minor markup changes to your site’s HTML and making sure that your pages load quickly and are easy to read are also important. Basic SEO best practices such as ensuring your site is searchable and has the basic structure of a standard SEO page are also important to master.
After you’ve dealt with these basics, you can move onto more complex issues like email marketing, social media marketing, and web content writing. Once you’ve mastered those topics, you can move onto more advanced tactics such as pay-per-click advertising and SEO campaign management.
Use Free Tools To Get Started
One of the great things about the industry is that there are so many free tools that can be used to get started with online marketing. Even Google, which is one of the world’s most prominent brands, doesn’t charge you to use their platforms. In fact, they even provide you with free tools to launch your own marketing campaigns. Some of the most prominent tools that can be used to get started are:
- Wix – Wix is a leading web development platform that makes it simple for anyone to create a professional-looking website. If you’re new to web design, Wix can be an easy way to get started. With Wix, you don’t need to be a coder to make changes to the site’s design. You just need to click on a button to make the changes.
- Squarespace – Squarespace is another excellent web development platform that makes it easy for anyone to launch a professional-looking website. Once you’ve launched your Squarespace site, you can start using the tools that they provide to promote your product or service.
- HubSpot – HubSpot is a leading digital marketing platform that makes it simple for anyone to create a professional-looking website. Once you’ve launched your HubSpot site, you can use their platform to create blog posts and other types of content for your website.
- Etsy – Etsy is an online marketplace where you can buy and sell all types of products such as clothing, accessories, and more. If you’re looking for an online marketplace where you can promote your product or service, Etsy is an excellent choice.
- Drip – Drip is a marketing platform that links your social media accounts and allows you to connect with other users across multiple platforms. Once you’ve signed up for Drip, you can use their platform to automatically post to your social media accounts whenever new content is created on your website.
- Canva – Canva is a leading online design platform that makes designing a brochure, flyer, or business card simple. While many companies offer basic design tools, Canva’s specialized design tools let you design anything perfectly.
Don’t Be Fooled By Free Trials
Just because a company offers you a free trial doesn’t mean that you should take it. Just because a company offers you a free trial doesn’t mean that they’re willing to give you their best pricing plan or most advanced feature. Always read the fine print of any offer that states it’s for a limited time or that you have to pay to continue using the service. Remember, you’re paying for the service whether you use it or not. So if you’re worried about finances, it’s best to look for a company that doesn’t charge you to use their services.
Pick A Niche
If you’re looking for a way to make money online, you don’t need to choose a general topic like “health” or “finance” to cover. Instead, you can pick a niche area like “lifestyle blogging” or “marketing for photographers.” If you can become the go-to source for information on your chosen topic, you can build a profitable business around that. To give you an idea of the kind of money that can be made, the typical blogging business can earn $16,000 per month or more (at the very least). With that much money coming in, you can afford to hire a part-time employee or even a full-time employee to help with your administrative tasks.
When you choose a niche, you are narrowing your target audience and tailoring your content to appeal to a specific group of people. If you can become the preferred source for information on your topic, you can build a profitable business around that.
Curate Content For Different Platforms
If you run a blog, you’ll most likely have multiple platform accounts that you must maintain. If you write for different platforms like LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Instagram, you’ll most likely have to curate different content for each account. The same thing goes for social media accounts like Twitter and Facebook. When you log in to your account, you are presented with different feeds that you must follow based on your interest.
If you want your content to be viewed on all of your platforms, you have to produce content that will appeal to your target audience on each platform. For example, if you want to write content for LinkedIn’s influential Influencer section, you have to curate content that will resonate with this audience.
If you don’t want to write for different platforms, you can either hire someone to do it for you or automate content syndication using tools like Automated Content Syndication (ACS). With ACS, you can choose from a variety of pre-made content slots that can be customized to fit your target audience’s needs. When a reader lands on your site, they will see a short preview of the content before they reach the end of the page.
Make Money With Affiliate Marketing
A lot of new businesses are making money online thanks to affiliate marketing. In affiliate marketing, you’ll usually sign up to be a seller of a product (mostly digital products) and when someone clicks a link or buys a product that’s promoted on your site, you’ll earn a commission.
The easiest way to make money with affiliate marketing is to sign up for a free account on one of the many affiliate marketing platforms out there. Once you’ve signed up, you’ll be presented with various products that you can promote on your site. When someone clicks one of your affiliate links and buys a product that you’ve promoted, you’ll earn a commission.
The downside to affiliate marketing is that you won’t get a guaranteed return on your investment. If you want to see real success with this strategy, you will need to build an audience on your site and then monetize the traffic with affiliate marketing.
Use Influencer Marketing To Gain Exposure
One of the most effective ways to create buzz and gain popularity is with influencer marketing. An influencer is someone who is generally considered to be influential or popular within a certain sphere of activity. In return for promoting a product or service, an influencer will often mention the brand or product they are promoting in their videos and social media posts.
You can gain popularity and drive traffic to your site with influencer marketing. However, you have to be mindful of quality and make sure that the influencer you choose is sympathetic to your niche. The best way to find an appropriate influencer is to search for celebrities in your subject area who have a large audience and are generally regarded as reliable sources of information.
When choosing an influencer, you should research their audience. Does the influencer have a large following within your target audience? Is the influencer popular among your target audience?
You can’t always predict how much an influencer will cost you. Sometimes, you’ll need to shell out a bit of cash because they demand a premium for their services.