Have a specific need for marketing materials? Don’t have the time to do it yourself? Need someone to help you develop strategic content for your website or social media channels?
If so, then you’re in luck because you’ve found the right person! In this article, you’ll discover the key components necessary to become a successful online marketing content creator, including tips on how to get started, platforms to use and tools to help you get the most out of your efforts.
Create a Plan
With any new venture, it’s important to have a clear and concise plan. You wouldn’t want to just show up and announce that you’re starting a business or blog without having a clear idea of what you’re doing and how you’ll achieve your goals.
To launch a content creation business, first you’ll need to establish yourself as an expert in your field. To do this, you’ll have to develop a plan and commit to following it. Start by researching the topic and defining the terms you’ll use to describe your work. Once you have a good understanding of the subject matter, you can begin to build your plan. Think of your plan as a road map for your business. It will serve as your compass, informing you of the direction you’re heading in and helping you stay on track.
Your plan should include the following:
- The purpose of your business
- Your strategy
- The target audience for your content
- Key performance indicators (e.g., the number of articles you’ll publish per week, the % of visitors to your website who engage with content, etc.)
- How you’ll generate revenue (e.g., through affiliate marketing, crowdfunding, sponsorships, etc.)
- The cost of goods (i.e., the equipment, software, and other necessities necessary to get the business up and running)
- The amount of money you’ll need to make this venture financially viable
- When you’ll begin and end your work on this project
- Your estimated hours per week and per day
- Your responsibilities (i.e., who will be responsible for what parts of the business, etc.)
- Your preferred working environment (i.e., are you more of a people person or a space person?)
- What will be your first priority in terms of advertising and marketing (e.g., web design, SEO, content marketing, etc.)?
- Your desired level of commitment (i.e., are you looking for a part time or full time position?)
- Whether you’re looking to hire employees or consultants to help you with this project
- The location of your desired business
Pick A Niche
The first step in establishing yourself as a content creator is to choose a niche. A niche is a “small market or segment” within the large market for a product. When someone enters a niche, they are doing so because they know, within that niche, there is a huge demand for their product. For example, “gym wear for women” is a niche within the general category of “fitness”. When you choose a niche, you are narrowing your target audience and tailoring your content to appeal to a specific group of people. This makes your content more relevant to your niche and helps you establish yourself as an expert in your field.
By choosing a niche, you are also choosing a topic you’ll cover in your blog or website. You will need to determine whether you want to cover general or specific topics. If you’re just starting out, it’s important to choose a general topic so you have something to write about. Once you’ve established yourself as an authoritative source on your topic, you can begin to focus on a particular niche within that topic. This will make your content that little bit more relevant to your target audience and increase the chances of them engaging with your content. It’s a good idea to write posts on a variety of topics, especially if you are looking for a digital marketing agency to help you implement a content strategy. Having a balance of content covering a variety of niches will increase your exposure to as many potential customers as possible. It’s always nice to have a variety of content, so if one subject area isn’t working for you, you have another to fall back on.
Decide On The Format
The second step in establishing yourself as a content creator is to decide on the format for your content. There are several options to choose from including:
- Video (i.e., Create and publish videos to YouTube. It is a popular destination for users looking for content on a range of topics. If you are looking to establish yourself as an expert in video production, this is a good option for you.)
- Audio (i.e., Create and publish audio content to Spotify or any other similar music streaming platform. Audio is a popular choice amongst marketers and business owners who want to stay on top of their game and keep their audiences engaged.)
- Image-based (i.e., Create and publish images to Instagram or any other similar social media platforms. If you already use social media for your personal life, this is a no-brainer. If you’re looking for a way to engage with your audience on social media, image-based content is a great choice. Instagram is one of the largest and most popular social media platforms. If you’re not sure where to start, just choose one that your target audience uses regularly and is familiar with. If you are looking for online marketing content creators who specialize in certain areas, like health, fitness, or food, choose a platform that caters to those topics. If you are looking to create general content on a variety of topics, choose a platform that allows for more freedom of expression. Remember, the last thing you want to do is put yourself under too much pressure to produce content of a certain quality on a fixed schedule. This will only lead to you burning out and having to take a break from your business. Take some time to explore the various formats available to you and choose the one that feels the most natural and comfortable to you.
Develop A Style
The third step in establishing yourself as a content creator is to develop a style. This is something you’ll want to do for each platform you decide to use to create content. For example, if you’re creating videos for YouTube, you’ll want to make sure that your videos match the overall look and feel of YouTube. Do some research on successful YouTube creators and see what they are doing. Incorporate this into your own content plan and style. Be sure to experiment with new formats and devices as you establish your business and keep your viewers interested. Remember, novelty attracts attention but eventually becomes old hat if the content isn’t of a good quality. Keep your style consistent across all your marketing materials (e.g., website, social media accounts, email marketing, etc.) so it becomes easy for your audience to find what they are looking for. You can also use software like Hunch to get inspired by existing websites and social media accounts.
Target Your Audience
The fourth step in establishing yourself as a content creator is to target your audience. Your target audience is the group of people you intend on reaching with your content. Before you begin creating content, you’ll need to define your target audience and decide who you’re aiming your content at. Knowing who your target audience is and understanding the nature of the engagement you’re after is essential to creating successful content. There are several strategies to choose from when trying to target your audience including: