A lot of businesses consider online marketing to be a chore. They view it as a necessary evil, something that they have to do, but not an enjoyable part of the job. If this sounds like you, then you need to re-think your approach, because it is possible to have fun while developing a successful online marketing strategy. You just need to find the right tools to make it easier.
Fortunately, there are many tools available that can help. One of the most popular ones is Wistia. Wistia is an online marketing platform designed to make it easier for business owners to get their message out to potential customers.
Why Are Online Marketers Looking At Wistia
Wistia was launched in 2011 and is owned by American media company, Red Ventures. It is a PPC (pay-per-click) platform which means that you will have to purchase traffic to your site, but, in return, you will get charged only for actual clicks.
Traffic is currently priced at $5 per day and you can get started for free. This is a very affordable option compared to other PPC platforms such as Google AdWords. As a business owner or online marketer, you will find that Wistia offers a lot of value for your money.
Wistia offers a variety of features that can help you get the most out of your time and money when using the platform. These include:
- Free Plans – With the free plan, you can create unlimited websites and get started immediately. This is a feature that makes Wistia extremely attractive to potential customers. Since you don’t have to worry about paying for traffic, you can use the free plan to try out the service and see how it works without any risk.
- Fully Optimized – One of the unique things about Wistia is that it was designed from the ground up to be SEO (search engine optimization) friendly. When you use a fully optimized website, your content is visible to visitors regardless of what search engine they are using.
- Mobile Responsive – Since many people now access the internet on their mobile phones, it is important that your website looks good on all smartphones and tablets. That’s why you will find that most of the websites built using Wistia are mobile responsive.
- Real Time Reporting – One of the advantages of using a PPC platform is that you can keep track of your marketing activities in real time. This is something that you can’t do as easily with a traditional SEO campaign. However, this real time reporting feature is only available on the pro plan.
- Free Domain – When you sign up for the free plan, you will be given access to a single domain name. This domain name can be used for free for up to a year.
- SSO (Single Sign On) – When you set up your free account with Wistia, you will be given a single sign on link that can be used to access all of your marketing websites, social media accounts, and emails with the platform. This feature makes it much easier to manage all of your marketing activity from one place. It also has the potential to lower your employees’ workload, since they won’t have to log in to multiple websites to do their job.
- Automatic Blogging – One of the things that was missing from the free plan when compared to the pro plan is the ability to manually post content to your blog. With the automatic blogging feature, you can set up an automated schedule to post new content to your blog on a periodic basis, even if you don’t have time to do it manually. This could include anything from a weekly blog post to a complete online store.
- Email Marketing – The pro plan also adds email marketing as a feature, which means that you can send out regular email messages to your customers with a compelling subject line and a call to action. This could include anything from an email newsletter to an email blast with a discount coupon.
- Pricing – Since Wistia is a PPC platform, pricing is based on the amount of traffic that you will route to specific keywords. The free plan offers unlimited searches, but, in order to prevent overuse and keep the prices low, you will need to set a daily cap on the amount of searches that can be done. This makes the free plan a good option for small businesses and startups, who don’t have the financial resources to spend large sums of money on expensive advertising.
- Free SSL – When you purchase a premium SSL certificate from LetsEncrypt, the cost is included in the price of your monthly subscription with Wistia. The SSL certificate makes your website more secure, which in turn, might make your customers feel a little more comfortable giving you their personal information. You can also use the secure HTTPS connection to point visitors to your store’s checkout page. This could help increase conversion rates.
- Get Started In 5 Minutes – The 5 minute tour that you will receive when you sign up for Wistia makes the platform easy to understand and accessible for anyone who is new to online marketing. During this short video, you will get an overview of the service and how to get started with a free account.
How Does Wistia Work?
The best way to explain how Wistia works is with an example. Let’s say that you are a real estate salesperson looking to get more business online. You have a website, social media accounts, and you are active on Facebook. How do you use Wistia to grow your business?
You can start by using the free plan to set up a simple website. Once you have your basic website, you can move to the pro plan and get started creating ads. You can either choose to create text-only ads or image-based ads. Once you have your ads set up, you can begin purchasing advertising credits to run your ads.
As you can see, the process is pretty straight forward. You can use the free plan as a testing ground to see how Wistia works and then, if you like what you see, you can move to the pro plan. The key is to find the right tool for the job. If you are looking for a tool to create text-based ads, you will want to go with something like Wistia’s Text Ad Builder. On the other hand, if you are looking to create image-based ads, you will want to go with something like the Visual Ad Builder. It’s worth noting that you don’t have to use the exact same tool to build both types of ads; you can use a different service for each type. But, for the sake of this example, we will be using the Ad Builder to build both types of ads.
Saving Money With Wistia
One of the things that makes Wistia so attractive to business owners is that they don’t want to spend money on advertising that won’t work. Since they don’t have to pay for each click, they can afford to be a little picky about the services that they use. This is why it’s important to do A Little Research Before You Buy.
For the sake of this example, we will assume that you have purchased a text ad (creating text-based ads using Wistia) and that you have 10 ads running currently. Your daily budget for Text Ads is $5 per day. Now, you want to create a new set of ads that will draw traffic from people searching for real estate related keywords. You want to purchase these keywords using Google AdWords.
What you will need to do is create a new account with Google AdWords, set up your daily budget, and then begin researching keywords. Before you begin to bid on any keywords, it’s worth taking a look at the competition. You can use the Google Keyword Tool to easily find the competition for any given keyword. What you will see is a list of all of the websites that are currently competing for the top spot in search results when people search for your chosen keyword. You will also see the position that those websites currently hold in search results.
In our example, we will use the keyword “Best Buy Real Estate” as our chosen keyword. As you can see in the screenshot below, Google currently shows 17 results when a user searches for “Best Buy Real Estate”.
Looking at the first two positions in the list of results, you can see that sites like reed.com and househunt.com currently hold the first and second positions respectively. These are strong results that any real estate business wanting to get their name out there would be happy to pay for.