So you have decided to invest in your personal or professional development and want to achieve something that will make a real difference. You’ve looked at the traditional route and noticed that whilst it may offer lucrative opportunities, it can also seem like a really long way to the top. You’ve heard about the importance of social media in modern marketing, and you want to be at the forefront of the industry. You want to work in a field that is constantly evolving and that you can learn new skills in.
If this sounds like you, then you’ve probably considered an online degree. An online master’s degree in marketing (OMMD) can put you in a position to become a confident, skilled executive in your chosen field. It allows you to study at your own pace in the comfort of your home or office. As a student, you will not only learn the theory but also practice putting your learning into practice. In addition, you will have the opportunity to connect with other students and experts from around the world.
Why An Online Degree In Marketing?
With today’s ever-evolving digital world, it is essential that marketers adapt and evolve with it. An online degree in marketing gives you the flexibility to study at your own pace and takes the stress out of coming up with content to meet ever-changing deadlines. You will have access to a large library of video lectures and course material online. You can pause, rewind, and watch content as many times as you need to in order to gain the most from it. You will not be attending any face-to-face classes, so you will not have to worry about missing any crucial deadlines. This makes your time fully-flexible and allows you to fit studying into your schedule wherever and whenever you want. You can even do some of your studying whilst on the move, via laptop or mobile device.
If the idea of an online degree in marketing excites you but you are not quite sure where to begin, this list will help you decide if it’s right for you.
Features That Make An Online Marketing Degree So Popular
There are plenty of reasons why an online degree in marketing is becoming so popular, but here are a few of the main ones:
- It’s flexible. With most online degrees, you can study at your own pace and log-in/out as you please.
- Access to a large library. Not only will you have access to a massive amount of video content, but you can also find all the required reference material you need in the library.
- The ability to work remotely. Thanks to the flexibility of the modern digital world, you can work remotely as part of your studies and even set your own hours. This means you can fit studying into your schedule anywhere that’s convenient.
- A chance to gain valuable real-world experience. One of the main criticisms of more traditional routes to success is that much of the experience you gain is purely theoretical. However, with an online degree in marketing, you can dive straight into the thick of things and gain invaluable experience that you can put to use straight away.
- A master’s degree. An online marketing degree is the perfect stepping stone to further study or a new career. With a professional masters in marketing, you can become a confident, well-rounded executive in your field.
What Will You Study?
Before you start your studies, you will need to decide whether you want to study for a professional or for a research degree. The following is a list of the required courses for each:
- Marketing Analytics For Strategic Decision Making
- Digital Marketing (Campaign Management)
- Marketing Management
- Marketing Analytics
- Social Media Marketing
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing)
- CRM (Customer Relationship Management)
- E-commerce Marketing
- Pricing Strategy
- Product Management
- Market Research
- Operations Management
- Advertising & Marketing
In addition to this, you will have the option to specialize in one of three streams:
If you decide to study digital marketing, you will be taught all of the key components of marketing, including marketing analytics, digital marketing, social media, and digital marketing strategy. One of the advantages of this specialization is that you will be learning a diverse range of skills that you can apply in a variety of industries. In addition, as marketers and strategists are evolving with the times, your studies will keep you up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques in digital marketing. The following table provides a general overview of the course contents for the digital marketing stream: