A blog can be a powerful tool in your online marketing arsenal. Not only can it provide you with fresh content to market and promote your products and services, but it can also be a place for customers to engage with you directly.
Creating a blog that draws in and encourages readers to engage with your content is a great way to build your audience, establish your authority, and gain credibility. Whether you’re a seasoned marketer or a budding entrepreneur, you can use a blog to effectively spread the word about your products and gain valuable customer insights along the way.
With so many different options for creating and hosting blogs (including free platforms like Blogger and WordPress.com), it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the variety of choices available. When deciding what type of blog to create, consider the following tips to effectively market your online presence and grow your business.
Find Your Niche
When deciding what type of content to write about, consider your niche. What is your area of expertise? What makes you qualified to write on the topic? Your niche will determine the blog’s target audience, direction, and tone. In addition to this, it will help you find the most effective platforms to reach your audience. For example, if you’re an expert in product reviews, you might decide to begin a blog on that subject matter. However, if your niche is more toward lifestyle and fashion, you might decide to create a blog around that topic matter.
In order to narrow your focus and find the right audience, it’s important to research and identify your competitors. Similar to marketing products, you can use SEO (search engine optimization) to find your target audience and draw them to your blog. Through SEO, you can utilize proven techniques to get your blog’s content in the top search results for relevant keywords.
Pick Your Platform
When choosing a blogging platform, it is important to consider your needs. Simply put, what are you looking for in terms of features and performance? There are a variety of popular platforms designed for specific types of blogging. For example, if you’re a professional content creator who needs a stable and reliable service, then you might want to choose a WordPress.com hosted blog. Alternatively, if performance is a concern and you need a service that is highly optimized for search engine presence, then you might want to choose a blog platform like Blogger or Medium.
Whatever your needs, consider them carefully before making a decision. Ultimately you’ll want to pick a platform that is reliable and has the features you need to ensure your blog’s success. For example, if you’re looking for a simple and clean interface, then Blogger and WordPress.com might be a good fit. However, if you’re looking for advanced customization and performance, then you might want to consider using a custom built platform.
Pick Your Domain
As you likely know, a domain is the virtual address (or URL) of your blog. For example, if you have a blog at blog.com, then the address is blog.com. Keep in mind that selecting the right domain is important as it can greatly influence your blog’s success. For example, if you choose the wrong domain, then you might experience a variety of issues regarding its ability to be found, shared, and clicked upon by potential visitors. As you can imagine, none of these are great for driving traffic to your site.
To ensure you choose the right domain, consider the following questions:
- Can you find the exact name of the domain in the first few seconds (or at least the first few words) of a web search?
- Does the name of your proposed domain immediately and unambiguously convey your blog’s message or subject matter?
- Does the name of your proposed domain fit nicely with your overall branding strategy?
- Does your proposed domain contain keywords related to your blog’s content?
- How popular is the domain name in terms of searches?
- How easy is it to remember (and type or say out loud) the domain name?
- Does the name of your proposed domain draw in the right audience?
- What is the total URL length? Simply put, the longer your domain, the more SEO value it will have.
- Is the name of your proposed domain available?
- Is the name of your proposed domain suitable for SEO practices (such as link building)?
- Is the name of your proposed domain relevant to your blog’s content and intended audience?
- When choosing a domain, ensure you register the exact name you are considering using. This will help ensure you maintain ownership of the domain even if you decide to switch to a different name in the future. In addition, ensure the name you choose is available.
Make Your Blog Stand Out
Now that you have your domain and blogging platform selected, it’s time to add some content to attract visitors. As a rule of thumb, try to add a new blog post every two weeks.
To get the most eyeballs on your content, make sure you add something that is both relevant and interesting to your target audience. Of course, you want to add value to your audience and establish yourself as an expert in your field, but you also want to keep things interesting and make your blog post stand out above the rest. In order to do this, consider the following tips:
- Use keywords in the headline, sub-headline, and the first few paragraphs of your blog post.
- Use descriptive words and terms in your headlines and body copy.
- Add visuals. This could include an infographic, photo, or diagram.
- Add video content.
- Create a unique voice or style to make your blog posts stand out.
- Focus on the content, not the platform (blogger, WordPress, etc.).
- Research your opponents. Identify and contact their biggest fans or audiences. Find out what they want and need. Use this to your advantage.
- Include links to resources and reputable suppliers. If your blog post is valuable, then people will be naturally drawn to link to it. Doing this will also help with SEO (search engine optimization) and make your blog more discoverable.
As we’ve established, a blog can be a powerful tool for marketing and engagement. When used correctly, a blog can provide you with fresh content to post, establish your expertise, and allow you to engage with your audience directly.
To create a successful blog, you must understand what makes your audience unique and interested in your content. From there, you can create content that appeals to them and encourages them to engage with you and your blog. Consider the following tips to effectively build and nurture your audience: