This February, I visited Tulum, Mexico. Now, I know what you’re thinking: “Tulum? Isn’t that the place where you and Alex have your honeymoon dream vacation?”
Yes, that’s right! I was married to Alex when we went on our honeymoon to Tulum and it’s one of our favorite places in the world. We booked a room at the famous Hacienda Muñoz and had the most romantic night together.
That’s why I want to tell you all about how you can market your business or product online in Tulum.
Marketing in Tulum
Tulum is a beautiful city set along the foothills of the majestic Sierra Madre mountain. The cool temperatures of the area preserve the magnificence of the springtime blooms and visitors can enjoy beautiful views of the city from the top of the mountains. While it’s a hub for nature lovers, the city is also home to many multinationals with its bustling streets and modern buildings.
The best way to discover the delights of Tulum is to visit its many historic spots. There are so many stories behind each of the places, so if you get the chance, you should definitely go see them all. If history is one of your interest, then there are plenty of museums and historic buildings waiting to be explored.
Some of the best places in Tulum are:
- The Forum Mall – The Forum Mall is one of the largest in Latin America and the 5th largest in the world. It features a variety of international fast food restaurants, including Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), Pizza Hut and Denny’s. There are also many fashion brands, including Marc Jacobs, Diesel and more. Additionally, the mall has over 120 stores and galleries including Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren and many others. The mall is adjacent to the hotel zone, which has some of the best restaurants in Tulum. You can eat at the restaurants or take a stroll through the mall. It’s a great way to spend the evening. There is also a large movie theater that shows Hollywood and Bollywood films. If you have a business or brand in the city, the mall is the place to be. There are also many large companies that have offices there, so it’s a great place to connect with potential customers.
- Casa Mia – Casa Mia is a bed and breakfast located in the Zona Hotelera (Hotel Zone) of Tulum. The property is one of the few AAA five-star establishments in the city. The luxury establishment has 17 individually decorated rooms and four suites. The rooms are designed in a contemporary Mexican style with an antique touch.
- Aventura Mall – The Aventura Mall is a large open-air shopping mall located in the Lomas de Agraciado area of Tulum. Opened in 2017, the mall features an IMAX theatre, movie theaters, a music Hall, restaurants and many more retail stores. There is also an outdoor terrace, where you can take a break from the bustling city and relax.
- The Forum Garden Mall – The Forum Garden Mall is a large open-air shopping mall located in the Zona Hotelera of Tulum. It is the 2nd largest shopping mall in Latin America. The property features stores, restaurants, cafes and a movie theater. There are also many international stores, including H&M, Mango and more. If you’re looking for a bustling yet upscale shopping experience, you can visit the Forum Garden Mall.
- Palacio de los Consejos – The Palace of the Consuls is a cultural center that houses a museum, an art gallery, a concert hall and a library. It is named after the consuls who governed Mexico City at the end of the 19th century. Today, the building is a hub for various cultural events from weddings and parties to art exhibitions and concerts. This palace was built in 1895 and was the last work of the famous Mexican architect, Guadalupe Muñoz. You can learn more about the palace at its website.
- Paseo Kino Siqueiros – The Paseo Kino Siqueiros is a cinema museum in Tulum. It was named after the famous Mexican artist who designed the interiors of the theater. The designer lived and worked in Tulum for many years and is credited with bringing modernism, or the belief in modernity, to Mexican art. You can learn more about the Paseo Kino Siqueiros at its website.
- The Museum of the Revolution – The Museum of the Revolution is a museum of historical and cultural artifacts related to the January 2019 presidential election in Mexico. Exhibits include photographs, historical documents and other objects that bring the history of the 1980s into the present day. The museum, which is divided into five galleries, is open Thursday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm. During the weekdays, admission is free, but on the weekends, it’s M$35 (US$2).
- Museo Frida Kahlo – The Museo Frida Kahlo is a museum in Tulum devoted to the life and work of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. The property is a former hacienda, now a museum, where you can tour the artist’s remarkable life and legacy. You can learn more about the museum at its website.
- Tulum Archaeological Museum – Tulum Archaeological Museum is a museum that was founded in 1969 and opened in 2014. The museum is dedicated to the cultural heritage of the area and it features many pieces of ancient Maya sculpture. It is also the place where you can find the famous Tulum murals, painted by the artist RCA in the early 1960s. You can learn more about the museum at its website.
- Centro Cultural de Tulum – The Cultural Centre of Tulum is a cultural center that was founded in 1971 and opened in 1975. The center is dedicated to the study and dissemination of Mayan culture. There are many exhibitions and lectures throughout the year at the center. Learn more about the center at its website.
- Tulum Sculpture Park – The Tulum Sculpture Park is a park in the city that features a variety of sculptures by international and local artists. There is also a museum there that is dedicated to the work of Rodica Bozdech, a renowned Romanian-born, Mexico-based sculptor. Bozdech has created an outdoor museum in the park, featuring her distinctive, colorful resin figures. In the summer of 2018, she completed a new figure, a seated woman. The new work, titled “Venus”, will be unveiled in the spring of 2019.
- Museum of Glass – The Museum of Glass is a museum located in the Coyoacán district of Mexico City. The collection in the museum features over 250 works by famous glassblowers from around the world. The pieces on display are on display for only a few months each year, so be sure to visit this museum in the spring or summer.
- Palacio de los Pinos – The Residence of the Presidents is a museum in San Miguel de Allende that was the home of three Mexican presidents: Porfirio Díaz, Francisco I. Madero and Abraham Lincoln. The mansion was built in 1890 and was the last residence of the three men. Inaugurated as a museum in 1969, the property features various historical and cultural relics from the period. During the weekdays, the house is open for guided tours from 10 am to 6 pm. On the weekends, when the house is not open, it’s M$25 (US$2) per person, which includes the gardens and the surrounding area. When it’s open on the weekends, charges are higher, so be sure to make a reservation in advance.
- Lorena Shopping Mall – The Lorena Shopping Mall is a large open-air shopping mall located in the Santa Fe neighborhood of Mexico City. Opened in December 2018, the mall features over 140 upscale stores and restaurants, including Burberry, Coach, Dior, Ralph Lauren, Kate Spade and many others.
Where to Market Your Business in Tulum
The best place to market your business in Tulum is the internet. There are many options for websites including Shopbop, Missguided, Fashion Nova and many more. You can take advantage of all the big brands in the city, as well as access the smaller, niche brands that you may not get the chance to feature in your store.
You can also set up online shops for various products such as candles, clothes, art, etc. You should consider selling your own designs or finding a local artist to paint a piece of original artwork for you.