In today’s world, the lines between work and leisure have blurred. More and more businesses are operating remotely, or from the comfort of their homes. This presents a massive marketing opportunity. If you know how to market yourself online in Michigan, you can reach almost every resident of the state. There is plenty of work to be done!
In order to truly understand how to market your business online in Michigan, we need to first understand the differences between traditional and online marketing.
Traditional vs. Online Marketing
Traditionally, marketing has involved spreading the word about your business to potential customers. You would typically do this through word of mouth, through face-to-face interactions, or through magazines and newspapers. With online marketing, you can take your business in a whole new direction. Instead of relying on traditional methods of marketing, you can use the internet to reach potential customers.
The major differences between traditional and online marketing are as follows:
- Geography – Where will your customers/potential customers/prospects be located?
- Time – When will your customers/potential customers/prospects be able to interact with your services/products?
- Technology – What is the most practical and efficient way for your customers/potential customers/prospects to learn about your business?
- Cost – How much will it cost to market your business?
- Overall Strategy – What is your overall marketing strategy?
- Risk – What is the risk you are willing to take in order to market your business?
- Reward – What will you receive in return for taking on this risk?
In general, online marketing is less risky than traditional marketing. However, it also has less reward. If you are just starting out, it may be wise to opt for traditional methods of marketing. Focus on building a brand presence, establishing credibility, and investing in advertising. You can always switch to online marketing as a backup plan. Remember that online marketing takes time to truly see results. Your customers expect you to keep providing them with quality content regularly. This content can either be free or paid for. The more you put in, the more you will get back. Create content that is helpful and informative, and you will attract, engage, and retain new customers. If you want to learn more, check out the complete guide to marketing for small businesses.
Marketing Channels In Michigan
Now that you have a good understanding of traditional and online marketing, let’s talk about the various ways that customers can learn about your business. Historically, print marketing (e.g., magazines, newspapers) was the primary way that businesses advertised their services and products. Nowadays, with so many options available, print marketing isn’t as effective as it used to be. It’s all about targeting the right audience.
In Michigan, customers can find your business through traditional print outlets such as newspapers and magazines. They can also find you online, through websites, social media, and other digital platforms. Email marketing is also commonly used, and there are numerous email marketing platforms designed for business use. You can use an online platform to create and send out marketing emails. Alternatively, you can use email marketing software, which can do all the dirty work for you.
It’s important to remember that just because you might find a business’s website, it doesn’t mean that they necessarily use all the best practices in web design. The converse is also true. Not all excellent websites promote themselves effectively. Your job isn’t to judge the quality of the product or service, but to inform potential customers of your business’s existence. There are 3 tips to help you improve the reach of your business’ website. First, use keywords in the title tag, heading, and description when building your website. This will help search engines like Google understand what your site is about. Second, ensure that your site is technically sound. Mobile phones and tablets don’t necessarily need the perfect website. They need a working one.
When a customer types a topic into the Google search bar, they’re looking for answers to their questions. If your site isn’t answering their questions, or doesn’t load quickly enough, they will quickly leave your site and visit a competitor. Third, make sure that your site is correctly categorized by Google. If your site is misclassified by Google, it won’t appear in the search results when a customer types in a keyword. If this happens, you will lose out on a large number of potential customers.
Forbes recently published a list of the 50 best small business blogs. You can use this blog as a guide to creating an awesome blog that will help your business succeed. Remember that a blog doesn’t have to be about your business to be effective. Inspirational blogs about various topics ranging from marketing to productivity to lifestyle can also be very useful.
Marketing Tools In Michigan
Depending on your marketing strategy, you may consider investing in tools that can help you get the most out of your efforts. An internet marketing suite, such as HubSpot, can be a costly investment. However, it can also be a useful tool for establishing and maintaining strong customer relationships. If you want to learn more, check out these 42 things you need to know about internet marketing.
Where Do You Market Your Business?
This may be the most crucial question to answer. Ultimately, you will decide which channels work best for you, but it’s good to have a general idea about the different types of marketing you can do. There are three broad categories of marketing:
- Product Marketing – If you are selling a product, then you are in the business of marketing your product. Your product may be what you are selling (e.g., clothing, shoes, jewelry), or it may be a service (e.g., providing counselling, legal advice, etc.). In either case, you will want to consider marketing strategies that speak to the user experience of people buying your product.
- B2B Marketing – If you are marketing to other businesses, then you are in the business of marketing to other businesses. Your product may be what you are selling, but it is the service that you provide, that allows you to market to other businesses.
- B2C Marketing – If you are selling to consumers, then you are in the business of marketing to consumers. Your product may be what you are selling (e.g., clothing, shoes, jewelry), or it may be a service (e.g., providing counselling, legal advice, etc.). In either case, you will want to consider marketing strategies that speak to the user experience of people buying your product.
As you can see, marketing you business doesn’t have to be complicated. It just requires a good understanding of the various aspects of marketing, and the ability to put your strategy into action. Remember, what you put in, is what you get back. So, be sure to put in the time and effort to learn how to market your business effectively. You’ll be glad you did!