Have a blog or website? Want to make money online? Want to grow your social media following and connect with customers? You’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about Internet marketing, including search engine optimisation (SEO), content creation, and social media.
What is Internet Marketing?
If you’re not sure what Internet marketing is or what it entails, you’ll need to understand the basics of digital marketing before you can start harnessing its power. According to the HubSpot Blog,
- digital marketing is essentially marketing, but using digital tools and techniques to drive business growth
- rather than focusing on attracting customers through advertising, you focus on engaging with potential customers through content.
- In times past, marketing was limited to radio spots, magazine articles, and billboards; now, with the internet, social media, and mobile phones, digital marketing allows you to target the right audience and engage with them through various mediums (e.g. email, social media, short-message services, etc.)
- In order to optimize your organic search results, you’ll need to learn the basics of SEO. We’ll cover this in more detail below.
The digital marketing landscape is ever-changing and evolving, so it’s important that you learn new skills and develop your own strategy. Thanks to the power of the internet and social media, you can now grow and sustain a business without having to physically go to customers and prospects.
Deciding where to start can be difficult. While beginner’s guidebooks on digital marketing will teach you the basics, you’ll still need to figure out what strategy and tools to use to be successful. That’s why we’ve gone ahead and curated this article series, wherein we’ll teach you everything you need to know about Internet marketing, including search engine optimisation (SEO), content creation, and social media.
Why Should You Hire An Internet Marketing Agency?
If you’re serious about boosting your business’ online presence, you should consider hiring an agency that has experience in digital marketing. Why? Because they will know which platforms to use and how to use them to maximise your marketing ROI (return on investment).
An agency can also help you plan out a comprehensive digital marketing strategy that will integrate all of your online marketing instruments (e.g. SEO, social media, email marketing, etc.).
Additionally, agencies can help you with the ongoing review and management of your marketing plan. Want to know when you’ll see the results of your efforts? They’ll be able to tell you.
What Should You Study Before You Start?
If you’re curious about becoming an Internet marketer, you’ll need to study various subjects before you start applying for jobs. While certain courses like HTML, CSS, or social media can be useful for anyone interested in online marketing, some of the more useful and specific courses for prospective digital marketeers are:
- SEOMarketing: An In-Demand Career
- Search Engine Optimization for Beginners
- Web Analytics
- Digital Marketing Strategy
As we talked about above, one of the most important things you’ll need to do if you want to succeed as an Internet marketer is to learn how to do keyword research. What is keyword research? Simply put, keyword research is the process of finding and identifying the popular keywords that your audience is currently using to search for content, products, or services related to your niche.
When conducting keyword research, you’ll want to look for the following:
- High search volumes, meaning lots of people are searching for these keywords. Bear in mind: if you’re looking for popular keywords, you’ll most likely have to look beyond the top five or six results on a search engine.
- Low competition, indicating there aren’t many people trying to sell these products or services. Low competition is good. It means you’ll be able to easily find the right keywords with the least amount of competition.
- Find the long-tail keywords. Instead of looking for “web hosting”, you might want to look for “web design” or “SEO” as the keywords.
- Avoid using broad keywords like “marketing”, “web design”, or “SEO”. It’s better to use smaller keywords that are more specific to your niche. If you’re not sure what the right keywords are, your agency will be able to provide you with an analysis of your site’s current keywords.
How Do You Find Popular Keywords?
There are many ways to find popular keywords, and we’ve compiled a list of the most useful ones. This list will help you find the right keywords without having to exhaustively search online directories and forums like Google.
To find keywords, simply use the Google Keyword Planner to enter your website’s URL in the space below and follow the instructions.
Alternatively, you can go to Keyword Explorer and enter your website’s URL in the space on the right side of the page. You’ll then see a ton of keywords and suggestions for content, products, and services related to your site. Use the drop-down menus to choose the exact match or closest-match keywords you see.
What is SEO?
SEO, short for search engine optimisation, is the process of increasing the quality and quantity of traffic to your website from the major search engines, like Google and Bing.
You’ll need to learn a lot about SEO before you can actually do it successfully. However, you don’t need to be an expert to implement a basic SEO strategy. Simply follow the steps below:
- Make sure your website is set up correctly. Having a responsive design is ideal as it will make your website display appropriately on any device (e.g. smartphone, tablet, or computer).
- Decide on your metrics — what will you use to determine the success of your SEO strategy.
- Keywords will be your guide. Once you have your keywords, you can create content that is optimized for a particular platform, like mobile or desktop.
- Create unique content that will appeal to your target audience.
- Use social media to spread the word about your blog or website.
- You can also use SEO to gain more leads and customers for your offline business.
Why Should You Become An SEO Expert?
You should consider pursuing a career in SEO because it’s a rapidly-growing field and there are many positions available. In fact, the demand for SEO experts is greater than the supply, meaning there are a lot of job opportunities for those who learn to become experts in this space.
It’s also a very useful skill to have when applying for jobs in digital marketing. If you’re new to this field, start off as a volunteer and work your way up. Sign up for a course like Google’s SEO Training and build up your portfolio. Once you have a good amount of work experience, you can look for a marketing job.