An online marketing plan covers the various channels that you will use to market your product or service including SEO, Social Media, Email Marketing, and more. When developing your plan, you will want to consider everything from content to distribution. This article will walk you through the steps to develop an online marketing plan to market your product or service.
Step 1: Set Up The Website And Begin Establishing A Brand Identity
The first step in developing an online marketing plan is to set up your website. This can be done through either a free platform like WordPress or a paid platform like Shopify. When choosing a platform, make sure that you are aware of how well the platform supports marketing efforts and SEO.
As you are establishing your brand identity, you also want to consider how you will position yourself in the marketplace. This includes everything from your tagline and keywords to your design, color scheme, and even fonts used throughout your website.
Step 2: Decide What You Want To Achieve With Your Website And What You Need To Accomplish It
The next step in developing an online marketing plan is to decide what you want to achieve with your website. This can be quite challenging since there are so many options available to you. You can either choose to have a informational website or a marketing website. For example, if you are an online retailer, you could have a website that provides information on your products or you could have a website that promotes your products.
The choice is completely up to you. However, you should make sure that you are focusing on one goal, which is leading to more conversions and making more money.
Step 3: Determining The Target Audience For Your Website
The next step in developing an online marketing plan is to determine who the target audience is for your website.
This is quite a challenging step as well since you will want to target the right audience regardless of whether you have a marketing or informational website. To help you with this step, you should consider a few key factors. First, you want to identify the demographic profile of your ideal customer. Second, you will want to consider the psychographics of your target audience. Third, you will want to establish a buyer persona and explore how you can speak to their needs.
Step 4: Research The Competition
The next step in developing an online marketing plan is to research the competition.
Fortunately, this is extremely easy online. Simply enter your target keywords, and you will be presented with a variety of websites that are already competing for that traffic. You can use the tools that Google provides to easily locate websites that are competing for your target keywords. In this step, you will want to consider everything from the cost of the product or service to marketing strategies used.
Step 5: Create Keyword Research For Your Marketing Plan
The final step in developing an online marketing plan is to create keyword research for your plan.
This is where you will want to consider what phrases and words your target audience is using in relation to your product or service. You can use tools like Google Keyword Planner, which is free, to easily find the top keywords that people are using to find your product or service. Once you have your keywords, you can begin creating content to promote your product or service using those keywords in the
Consider using a keyword search engine to find your keywords. For example, if you are looking for SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for your marketing plan, you can enter “SEO” and your target keywords (such as “best,” “services,” or “package”) and click the button to get a variety of SEO strategies.
Now That You Have Everything Written Down, It’s Time To Review
Now that you have everything written down, it’s time to review and revise your plan. Remember, no plan ever survives first draft. In addition to reviewing the above steps, you should consider the following:
User Interface (UI)
The user interface (UI) is a term that is used to reference the overall design and aesthetic of the website. This includes everything from the colors to the fonts used and how everything is presented.
Some websites are better than others when it comes to presenting content with a pleasing UI. If you have spent any amount of time on the internet, you have undoubtedly visited websites with a clean, modern design.
If you are fortunate enough to have a dedicated design team, you can request their services to revamp your website’s UI. Alternatively, you can find a designer with an aesthetic similar to yours and either partner with them or become their client.
The content strategy is a plan that determines the overall approach and frequency of content that you will use to attract and retain customers. This includes everything from the types of articles you will write to the frequency of those articles. In addition, it includes whether or not you will use affiliate marketing to promote your products.
The content strategy is quite a broad topic that can be broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces. If you are looking to develop a content strategy for your marketing plan, start by considering the following:
Types Of Content To Include
Depending on the industry that you are in, you may want to include some of the following in your content strategy:
- Product reviews – If you are an online retailer or store, you might want to consider doing product reviews for your blog. If you are doing these reviews yourself, make sure that you have developed enough trust with the reader that they are willing to open up and leave reviews for your product.
- How-to guides – If you are an eCommerce store, you might want to consider doing how-to guides for your blog. In these types of guides, you can step through the process of buying the product or service that you are promoting. Generally, the reader is less informed about the industry that you are in, and therefore, the how-to guide can be quite effective.
- Blogs – If you are looking to establish your personal brand, you might want to consider creating a blog. With a blog, you can write and publish your own content on a consistent schedule. In addition, you can use tools like Influencer.com to easily find the top bloggers in your niche.
- Vlogs – If you are looking to establish yourself as a brand, you might want to consider creating a video blog. A video blog is simply a blog with video content. You can use third-party tools like YouTube to establish yourself as an expert in your industry.
- Case Studies – If you are looking to establish your personal brand, you might want to consider creating a case study. A case study is similar to a how-to guide in that it is a step-by-step guide. However, instead of using text, a case study often uses video content or some combination of the two.
- Q&As – If you are an eCommerce store, you might want to consider doing Q&As (Questions & Answers) with customers. With a question and answer session, you can solicit questions from your audience and answer those questions. You then can use your blog to continue to build credibility by providing additional information.
- Reviews – If you are an online retailer or store, you might want to consider doing product reviews for your blog. If you are doing these reviews yourself, make sure that you have developed enough trust with the reader that they are willing to open up and leave reviews for your product.
- Press Releases – If you are a public relations (PR) professional, you might want to consider creating press releases. A press release is a type of content that is often distributed through news organizations like newspapers and online news websites. Press releases can often get featured on industry-specific news websites that are designed for writers like you.
The Above Items Should Add Up To One Conclusion
The items that you have considered above should add up to one conclusion. This is simply because you cannot make all of these pieces perfect individually. You will either need to focus on certain tactics or strategies. For example, if you are looking to establish your personal brand, you might want to consider creating a blog. However, if you are looking for viral hits, you might want to consider using YouTube.