As the name suggests, online marketing is all about marketing a product or service – digitally – through various platforms like social media, email marketing, search engine optimization (SEO), and more.
But just because the platforms are digital, that doesn’t mean that traditional rules of marketing don’t apply. In fact, a lot of marketing knowledge and skills can be applied online – with a few tweaks – to generate fantastic results.
Here, we’ll answer some of the most common questions about beauty online marketing.
Should I go digital?
Just because your product or service is virtual doesn’t mean that it has to be online. In fact, you could sell your products and services offline through physical stores or showrooms if you wanted. But it’s likely that most of your customers will eventually find out about your business, products, and services through online marketing and platforms like social media.
So going digital is usually the best choice. The more platforms you can utilize to reach your audience, the more you can optimize your results.
What are the most popular platforms for beauty online marketing?
As with any market, the platforms that people use to interact with brands and businesses vary by demographic. But one thing is for sure: almost all beautiful people online use various platforms to share their experiences, thoughts, and interests.
Here are the top five platforms used by shoppers aged between 18-24, according to Adestra:
The most popular of these platforms is Instagram, with 48% of shoppers using the photo-sharing site to research and learn about products. While younger generations may prefer to stick to more traditional social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter, these are gradually becoming less valuable as marketers look to gain insight from multiple platforms.
In fact, Gen Z prefer to learn about products and services through social media rather than through traditional advertising, with 65% saying that they use platforms like Twitter and Instagram to discover new products and services. While this may be a result of digital natives growing up with access to the world wide web, these platforms have also become invaluable for marketers as a way to enter the coveted 18-24 demographic.
What platforms do I need to be on to market my beauty/fitness/wellness business online?
As a brand or business owner, it’s important to establish yourself on multiple platforms so that you can reach the right audience with your content.
To that end, here are the major platforms used by shoppers for beauty, fitness, and wellness, according to Adestra:
While some of these platforms may be geared more towards one particular industry, such as YouTube for video content, or Twitter for social media, etc., it’s still essential to establish yourself on these platforms to take full advantage of the digital world.
Do I need a social media account for my business?
Although it may be tempting to jump on the social media bandwagon and join the masses on platforms like Facebook and Twitter simply to market your product or service, this may not be the best route. Just because your product or service is virtual, it does not mean that it does not have social implications. In fact, 74% of consumers have purchased something after visiting or following a brand or business on social media, according to HubSpot Blogs research.
Whether you’re selling seashells or moonlight tours, your product or service has the potential to inspire someone to create a hashtag or phrase that becomes popular and helps them discover your business. And from there, it’s possible that they’ll become a customer or follower.
How do I use social media for marketing?
With social media, it’s all about engaging with your audience – whether that’s through sharing valuable content, establishing yourself as an expert in your industry, or encouraging engagement through contests and giveaways.
Here are a few quick tips for getting started on social media:
- Find your audience – Who’s your target audience on social media? What are they interested in, and what are they missing? Create content that resonates with them, and remember – the more engaged you are with your audience, the more you can optimize your results.
- Regularly check your analytics – Make sure you’re not missing any valuable information that could help you make more informed decisions about your marketing strategy. Look at which articles and videos most attracted your audience, and use this information to shape your next content campaign.
- Content is key – Make sure that you’re putting out quality content that will keep your audience coming back for more. Create useful posts that will generate engagement and make your followers an important part of your marketing strategy.
- Interact with your audience – Not only does regularly engaging with your audience help you better understand who they are and what they want, but it also helps you determine the kind of content that will be most valuable for them. Create a space for your audience to engage with you, and be sure to reply to all of their questions and comments. The more you engage with your audience, the better you can understand their needs and the more you can tailor your content to be valuable to them.
- Measure your results – Finally, make sure that you’re measuring the results of your social media strategy. If you’re engaging with your audience through Instagram, make sure to look at the organic reach of your posts. This will give you an idea of the amount of people that are actually seeing your content. Measure your Instagram success by looking at the number of likes, follows, and comments your posts get. Are you posting to the right place? Are your calls to action clear enough? What changes can you make to make your next content campaign more successful?
How do I use YouTube for marketing?
YouTube is one of the most popular online destinations for brand awareness and educational content, and is a fantastic place to gain exposure and find videos on virtually any subject.
You can use YouTube to establish yourself as an expert in your industry, with 68% of consumers using the site to learn about brands and businesses. Your video content can also form the basis of a valuable library for potential customers, especially if you’re using videos to educate yourself about new products or services. Once you have a good sized library of videos, you can continue to add new content about your industry and gradually improve your SEO.
What is SEO and how do I get started (for free)?
SEO – Search Engine Optimization – is all about getting your website or blog to show up on search engines like Google when someone searches for your niche. Essentially, you want to make sure that your website is “attractive” to search engines so that they choose your site rather than your competition when someone searches for your niche.
There are free tools like Google’s Keyword Planner that can help you find the right keywords and suggest words and phrases that you should incorporate into your content and website. If you want to get started with SEO, here are a few tips: